Cucumber and Lemon Cake - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 9th August 2018
Cucumber is definitely something you'd never think of putting in a cake but it is actually really refreshing and a great way to use them up if you have a lot growing in the garden! Paired with some tangy lemon you have a really delicious summer gluten free cake, it would be great served at a garden party!
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
120g caster sugar
1/2 a lemon (juice and zest)
210g gluten free self raising flour
150g icing sugar
2tsp lemon juice
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 30 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Weigh out 250g of cucumber (weigh before deseeding), cut lengthways and scoop out the seeds (best way is to use a teaspoon)
2. Chop the cucumber into chunks and blend with 25ml water until no big chunks remain.
3. Cream the margarine, sugar and lemon together with a fork then, beat in one of the eggs. Add some of the flour, beat, then add the other egg, add the rest of the flour and beat well.
4. Fold in the blended cucumber until well combined. Pour the mix into two baking tins
5. Place the cakes in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 and bake for 25-30 mins until browned on top and cooked through.
6. Once cooked, remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack. Allow to go completely cold.
7. To make the buttercream, cream all the buttercream ingredients together with a fork. Spread half in the middle of the two cakes and the rest on top. Finish off with a little lemon zest and grated cucumber.
This recipe makes 10 slices
Nutritional info per slice
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk