You can't not love Cornish pasties but it is not easy to get hold of gluten free ones unless you are in Cornwall then there are a fair few places that you can grab one. This recipe makes 4 succulent beef and vegetable filled pasties which are great for a treat night meal, like all proper pasties they are pretty calorific!
This recipe is...
Low Sugar High Protein Dairy Free
400g Gluten free plain flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
100g sunflower spread (or other dairy free spread)
350g beef skirt
200g swede (or turnip)
Pinch salt and pepper
1 eggPreparation Time:
1 Hour 30 MinsCooking Time:
50 MinsThis recipe makes 4 pasties
This recipe is free from...
1. Sift together the flour, salt and xanthan gum.
2. Rub in the sunflower spread and lard to make a breadcrumb consistency.
3. With a round ended knife, gradually mix in the water until you reach a nice doughy consistency but neither to wet or too crumbly. You might need more or less than the 2 tbsp specified.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 1 hour at least before use.
5. Roll the pastry out and cut into 20cm circles, a side plate is usually round about the right size to use as a guide.
6. Cut the beef into cubes, peel and dice the onion, potatoes and swede and mix together in a bowl along with the salt and pepper.
7. Spoon the beef and veg on the pastry circles and bring up the edges, using water to seal the pastry sides together, crimp together, traditionally they are almost twisted when crimped but that technique takes some mastering!
8. Place the pasties on a baking tray and brush with beaten egg, bake on gas mark three for about 55 minutes to an hour until golden brown.
Nutritional info per pasty